I currently do not live in India. And I miss home desperately. But everyday I read the news, and I miss it a little less. Everyday I walk down the street here and I miss India a little lesser.
I'm ashamed to admit that when I'm in India, I'm one of those women:
- That ignores men that catcall instead of screaming at them.
- That does not look up when she walks for fear of catching the eye of leering man.
- That does not accept any man's generosity (not even an acquaintance) for fear of being molested or raped.
What sort of country do we live in? I think of myself as a patriot. But patriotism is difficult when you despise so many people that live in your country.
The reason for this post is pretty simple. I just read this article about a horrific crime. Every word resonated with how I felt.
And then, I read the comments.
What sort of country do I come from? Religion, caste, region and politics divides us - in a time that we should be united.
Never felt this sad before.
And for the first time, I don't want to go back home.
I'm ashamed to admit that when I'm in India, I'm one of those women:
- That ignores men that catcall instead of screaming at them.
- That does not look up when she walks for fear of catching the eye of leering man.
- That does not accept any man's generosity (not even an acquaintance) for fear of being molested or raped.
What sort of country do we live in? I think of myself as a patriot. But patriotism is difficult when you despise so many people that live in your country.
The reason for this post is pretty simple. I just read this article about a horrific crime. Every word resonated with how I felt.
And then, I read the comments.
What sort of country do I come from? Religion, caste, region and politics divides us - in a time that we should be united.
Never felt this sad before.
And for the first time, I don't want to go back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment