Friday, January 22, 2010

The 'Me' in 'Me'.

There is no such thing as being selfless. There is no such thing as putting others before yourself. That does not exist.

All the time- a l l t h e t i m e- in your head, it is always ME ME ME. What am I typing right now? Will they judge me? I wonder if people think I only write about me?

The अहम् is far too important in everybody for you to worry about someone else first. And if you think I'm lying, pick the most selfless thing you've ever done- and just think about why you did it. (Because I am a good friend. People will recognise what I did for him. He will always remember me.It was the right thing to do, I think.).

We're far too self centered to be selfless.

I just realised what got me started thinking about this entire thing. Laser Lad, you don't know about my blog. But this post is partially attributed to you.

11 comments:

Meenakshi said...

i've found that love has made me do quite a few selfless things, where the reaction was so quick i had no time to even contemplate the effect for 'me'.

this comment made me type mismi before i sent it as word verification.

do you mismi?

:)

hug

rorschach said...

its ok ma. no one can be selfless. ever. i think. but you can be kind to people. and that you are. i think. and that is good no matter what the motivation. i think.

one would think i think too much. but see you know i don't ;)

uncle oswald said...

I am in oncurrence with rorschach :)

Swaraj Paul Barooah said...

Black. White.
Black. White.
Black. White.

GRAY.
Grey?

I have several problems with your simplification.
However, on semantics, and not indicated as so on your post, but just because I feel like typing, selfishness and selflessness have been equated with wrong and right for far too long.

Swaraj Paul Barooah said...

Sorry. I've been criticizing papers all day. I think it showed.

Shamli said...

@ Meenakshi: It all boils down to doing it because you love the person; and making them happy, makes you happy. Yes?

@ Baroo: Everything has shades of grey. Everything. Even so, on your tangential point, I think too much of anything is a bad thing- selfish/ selfless/self centred included.

And its much easier to criticize someone when they are doing something for themselves, than other people- which is why the general characterization of that particular quality.

rorschach said...

achcha btw what's the proper spelling of grey/gray?? as in the colour. paulie raises an important issue methinks and MSword is not of much help.

Shamli said...

Gray is the American spelling. Grey is British English. I think.

Niniel said...

swaraj is showing off with his berkeley lingo.

Swaraj Paul Barooah said...

su, go back to your wildlife.

Meenakshi said...

now its making me type subbic.
sigh.

yep, true, even i often feel like everything i do is all about me, and in my case its probably true also.

i had the most awesomest cocktail ever - Absolut peppar with orange juice. try it, try try